• Hadleigh Castle sits on the hill to the South East of the Olympic Mountain Bike Venue.
• The Castle build was started in about 1215 by Hubert de Burgh but was extensively re-fortified by Edward III.
• Access along the Thames from London was probably the main method of transport to the castle.
For a more in-depth history of Hadleigh Castle, head to the English Heritage Website.
Hadleigh Farm – The Salvation Army
• Hadleigh Farm was originally part of William Booth’s, “Darkest England” scheme. This involved people from what he referred to as the, “submerged tenth” being helped and in some cases rescued by Salvationists.
• Originally, the farmland around Hadleigh was notorious for its poor quality and was known locally as the, “Hadleigh badlands.” William Booth chose the location as it was within reasonable distance of London where the City Colony was based and had access to water and a railway.
• 1891 saw the start of building William Booth’s vision on Hadleigh Farm. In just 9 months the farm went from 48 volunteers from the East End to nearly 250. The Salvation Army can also offer further information on the History of Hadleigh Farm.
To read more about William Booth’s vision in 1891 for Hadleigh Farm click here.
The Hadleigh and Thundersley Community Archive Group (HT&TCA)
• The Hadleigh & Thundersley Community Archive was formed in 2010 in partnership with Essex County Council Libraries and The Essex Record Office.
• A community archive was already in existence for Canvey Island and Heritage Lottery funding was obtained for a further six archives in South East Essex.
• Together, these archives are known as the South East Essex Community Archive Network (SEECA).
For more information and to look at the great digital archive of memories and photos see The Hadleigh and Thundersley Community Archive.
For more information about the Scheduled Anicent Moment at Hadleigh, click here.